Nothing can be more upsetting to homeowners than the sight of weeds in their lawns. Invasive and destructive, weeds cause immense frustration. This arises from the detriment they cause to lawns and gardens.
Fortunately, you will find a plethora of weed killers on the market. These products make life easier by eliminating and preventing weed infestation on your garden. Nonetheless, not all weed killers get the task done.
In our review, we have come up with a list of the best weed and grass killers, to help you choose one that is effective. Also, we have highlighted the attributes to consider when selecting weed and grass killer.
- 10. Scotts Halts Crabgrass & Grassy Weed Preventer
- 9. Bonide Concentrate Sedge Ender Weed Killer
- 8. PBI/GORDON 792000 Weed-Out Lawn Weed Killer
- 7. Spectracide Weed & Grass Killer2
- 6. RM43 43-Percent Glyphosate Plus Weed Preventer
- 5. Ortho GroundClear Vegetation Killer Concentrate
- 4. Preen Garden Weed Preventer
- 3. Southern Ag Crossbow Weed & Brush Killer
- 2. Roundup Weed and Grass Killer Concentrate Plus
- 1. Compare-N-Save Concentrate Grass and Weed Killer
10. Scotts Halts Crabgrass & Grassy Weed Preventer
Crabgrass is tough to control, but not with this highly-competent Scotts Halts Weed Preventer. It is an all-season weed killer, meaning it works efficiently regardless of the season.
This weed killer covers a large area of up to 5,000 square feet. This makes it an excellent buy for those with big farms. However, the manufacturer recommends that the product be avoided in areas with bentgrass.
- Turns your lawn into the least weedy area
- Consistently outperforms other models
- Fails to work effectively
9. Bonide Concentrate Sedge Ender Weed Killer
The Bonide weed killer is another affordable and top-rated product on the market. It is one of the best alternatives for sedge eradication. And, aside from destroying weeds, this solution prevents the growth of nut grass and goose grass.
The core ingredients of the Bonide Concentrate are sulfentrazone and Prodi amine. These elements are effective enough and can be used on a 20,000 square feet area.
- Comes with all the mixing instructions
- Ideal for sedge eradication
- Controls growth of broadleaf plants
- Not rainproof
8. PBI/GORDON 792000 Weed-Out Lawn Weed Killer
Weeds tend to degrade the value and health of your lawn and garden. Worse even is the manner in which they grow at an uncontrollable rate. It is in such situations that the PBI/GORDON product comes to your rescue.
This concentrate is specially designed for the hard-to-control lawn weeds, which include more than 250 broadleaf weeds. Available in a one-gallon container, this product has also proven to be effective on cool-season grasses. It covers an area of 32,000 to 64,000 square feet.
- Effective in eliminating troublesome weeds
- Covers approximately 32000 to 64000 square feet
- Comes in a gallon size container
- Spraying more than once is required to get rid of the stubborn weeds
7. Spectracide Weed & Grass Killer2
Spectracide provides an easy and fast way of killing those unwanted greeneries. Its quick-acting formula delivers results in as little as three hours. You can use this product on driveways, gardens and along foundations.
Being a non-selective type of weed killer, it will kill any plants it comes into contact with. The maximum coverage of this product is about 16,000 square feet. Advisably, you should spray this solution during spring to prevent weed growth at the initial stage.
- Low-budget solution
- Rainproof in 15 minutes
- Achieves results within three hours
- Fails to provide long-term benefits
6. RM43 43-Percent Glyphosate Plus Weed Preventer
Manufactured by RM43, this is a bare ground concentrate for treating weeds and grasses. This concentrated formula consists of glyphosate and imazapyr. Both elements are useful in destroying noxious weeds, grasses, vines, brush, and trees.
Available in a 2.5-gallon container, this weed killer can cover an area of 43,000 square feet. Aside from killing weeds, it can prevent their growth for one year. Spray the RM43 Weed Preventer along fence rows, driveways, parking lots and barns.
- Treats large lawn areas
- For spot and bare ground treatments
- Has no harmful chemicals
- Large 2.5-gallon container
- Can kill useful plants as well
5. Ortho GroundClear Vegetation Killer Concentrate
Available as a concentrate, the Ortho GroundClear is one of the best weed killers on the market. Forget about the lawn mower, which doubles up as a lawn and weed management tool. This product features an advanced formula for destroying weeds in one go.
Like most of the weed killers on our review, it also acts fast and swiftly. The Vegetation killer can destroy weeds and also suppress their growth for about one year.
- Comes with detailed instructions
- Delivers results in just a few hours
- Kills weeds, grasses, and shrubs
- Prevents growth for a year
- Slightly expensive
4. Preen Garden Weed Preventer
The performance of this weed killer is top-notch. It comes in an original package that provides a fast-acting remedy. Also, it has a long shelf life and a slow release technology for suppressing weeds for up to three months.
Contrary to most weed killers that have to be applied several times to work, the Preen Garden is only applied once. It causes zero harm to humans, pets, kids and the surrounding. But, the key highlight if Preen Garden is its multifunctional feature. You can mix it with soil when seeding to prevent weed growth.
- Has a rainproof formula
- Safe on vegetables and trees
- Effective for up to 12 weeks
- 900 square foot coverage
- Not effective for destroying all weeds
3. Southern Ag Crossbow Weed & Brush Killer
Another efficient herbicide for controlling weeds and grasses is the Southern Ag Crossbow Herbicide. It is a type of non-selective weed killer. This product consists of Butoxy Ethyl, a compound that can destroy unwanted woody plants, perennial and annual weeds.
The Southern Crossbow comes in a ready-to-use solution. All the homeowner has to do is to mix it with water. Also, this concentrate can deal with the tough, stubborn weeds such as poison ivy.
- Entirely safe for kids and pets
- Acts swiftly
- Can prevent regrowth of weeds
- Not suitable for commercial use
2. Roundup Weed and Grass Killer Concentrate Plus
For a long time, Roundup Weed and Grass Killer has been one to America’s top options for weed killers. It features a super-concentrated formula that destroys unwanted plants. With most products, they only cause these weeds to wilt. However, the Roundup weed killer destroys irritants from within their roots.
Noticeable results can be achieved within 12 hours of using this weed killer. This can be attributed to its competent ingredients that include 50% of glyphosate and diquat (.73%).
- Rainproof in half an hour
- Achieves results within 12 hours
- Not suitable for long-term use
1. Compare-N-Save Concentrate Grass and Weed Killer
This weed killer comes in a one-gallon container, with which you can make at least 85 gallons of spray. It contains 41% of glyphosate, which does an excellent job of destroying weeds. It can kill both perennial and annual weeds, grasses among other undesirable greenery. You can use it on driveways, patios, and fences.
Compare-N-Save weed killer is designed to treat more than 25,000 square foot sections. It can be used during both dry and wet climatic conditions. And, as long as it is sealed and not left exposed to direct sunlight, this product has an unrestricted shelf-life. With this product, all weeds die within five days to two weeks.
- 25,000 square foot coverage
- Kills both weeds and grasses
- Does not perform as well as advertised
The reviewed weed killers have the ingredients required to destroy all kinds of weeds. Contrary to herbicides, most of these products do not contain any toxins; hence, safe for the environment. With these weed killers, you are guaranteed that your lawn will remain healthy and beautiful.