Mowing your lawn is usually not enough to get that great look. There are areas where your lawn mower can’t reach, including the edges, and around certain objects. With a string trimmer, your lawn’s edge will be perfectly trimmed, and your entire lawn itself will look it’s very best. But all string trimmers are not the same. There are quite some differences between the various makes and models in the market, and this review aims to aid you in making the best purchase decision out of the chaos.
- 10. Husqvarna 17 Inch Straight Shaft String Trimmer
- 9. Hitachi 2-Cycle Gas Powered String Trimmer with Curved Shaft
- 8. Worx 32-Volt 3-in-1 Cordless String Trimmer
- 7. Makita 18 Volt 2-in-1 Cordless String Trimmer
- 6. EGO Power 56 Volt Cordless String Trimmer
- 5. DEWALT DCST920 Cordless String Trimmer
- 4. BLACK+DECKER 40 Volt Cordless String Trimmer
- 3. Toro 14 Inch Corded Electric Trimmer
- 2. BLACK+DECKER 40V-Max Trimmer & Sweeper Set
- 1. GreenWorks 13 Inch 4Amp Corded Trimmer
10. Husqvarna 17 Inch Straight Shaft String Trimmer
The Husqvarna 128LD features a 28cc gas engine which delivers enough power to do most of your trimming in record time. It has a 17 inch (43cm) cutting width, which attaches to the engine via a straight shaft. It uses a 0.095 diameter trimmer line and comes with a T25 semi-automatic trimmer head. The engine starts quite easily, and it features a smart recoil system for the start-cable.
- Pros: Powerful 28cc motor
- Cons: A bit pricey, noisy as well
9. Hitachi 2-Cycle Gas Powered String Trimmer with Curved Shaft
Our number #9 position trimmer comes from Hitachi and is gas powered as well. It features a curved 54 inches long shaft to lessen the stress on the back. Its engine is a lightweight 21.1cc two-stroke pure fire engine, and its trimmer head is a 4 inch semi-automatic head for problem-free operations. The trimmer also features an anti-vibration system, and weighs just 10.1 lbs (4.5 kg) dry weight.
- Pros: Lightweight, curved shaft
- Cons: Still noisier than electric systems
8. Worx 32-Volt 3-in-1 Cordless String Trimmer
The Worx GT2.0 is a 3-in-1 machine with a 12 inch cutting diameter. It can be used as a trimmer, an edger, and a mini mower, all with simple modifications that take just a few seconds, and without tools. It is also very light, and weighs just 6.2 lbs (2.8 kg). The package comes with 2x 32Volt lithium batteries, a charger, 3x trimmer spools, plus the promise of free spools for life.
- Pros: 3-in-1 functionality, battery powered, offers free spools
7. Makita 18 Volt 2-in-1 Cordless String Trimmer
The Makita XRU02Z weighs only 6.4 lbs (2.9 kg) and is powered by an 18 Volt system which brings it up to 7,800 Rotations Per Minute (RPM). It has a 180 degree rotating head, which allows it to be used as an edger as well. It also has a telescopic shaft, which allows it to transform from 48.5 inches (123 cm) to 56.5 inches (142 cm) in length. It will also run for up to 45 minutes on a single charge, which is enough time for most people.
- Pros: Lightweight, telescoping shaft, 2-in-1 operation
- Cons: Not much torque from an 18 Volts battery, battery is not included in the package
6. EGO Power 56 Volt Cordless String Trimmer
The EGO Power trimmer is with its 56 Volt and high efficiency motor, a powerful battery operated machine with enough power like gas operated models. It features a variable speed trigger, and a dual string feed for 0.095 inch diameter loops. It is constructed from weather proof aluminum, with a 49 inches (124 cm) long extended aluminum shaft. It is also overall, a very stylishly designed product.
- Pros: Cool design, high powered 56 Volt system, 5 year tool warranty
5. DEWALT DCST920 Cordless String Trimmer
The DEWALT DCST920 features a brushless motor, which maximizes the efficiency of its 20 Volt battery pack, translating thereby into maximum torque and extended battery life. It has a 13 inch (32 cm) cutting width, with dual 0.08 inch line feed. It also weighs 8.5 lbs. (3.8 kg), which is a bit on the heavy side for a battery powered string trimmer. It comes with its battery included.
- Pros: 3 year warranty, variable speed control, comes with battery
- Cons: With 8.5 lbs. a bit heavy for a cordless trimmer
4. BLACK+DECKER 40 Volt Cordless String Trimmer
With a 40 Volt system, this BLACK+DECKER trimmer delivers more power to the cutting string than 20 Volt based systems. With its 13 inch cutting width, this means the job will get done sooner. You can choose between 8500 RPM for thick weeds, or a slower 6500 RPM for longer battery life. The trimmer also features an automatic feed spool, and comes with the battery, a charger, an AF-100 spool and a guard included, in the box.
- Pros: converts easily to edger, bump-less automatic feed spool
- Cons: Only 2 years warranty
3. Toro 14 Inch Corded Electric Trimmer
The Toro 51480 is a 2-in-1 trimmer and edger, powered directly from the mains AC. It features a telescoping shaft, made from rust-free aluminum. It’s 14 inches (35.6 cm) wide cutting swath with a dual head, ensures the rapid completion of any trimming or edging job. It also features an adjustable assist handle, and is quite stylish with its combination of red and black colors.
- Pros: Wide 14 inches cutting swath, telescoping shaft, 2-in-1 functionality
- Cons: Limited mobility because it is corded
2. BLACK+DECKER 40V-Max Trimmer & Sweeper Set
In position #2 is a trimmer and sweeper combo offer from BLACK+DECKER. The trimmer can be easily converted to an edger, and also features an automatic feed spool. Its PowerCommand dial allows you to choose between maximum power and maximum battery life. The sweeper is a low noise, 4.7 lbs. (2.1kg) machine, that delivers a 120MPH wind-stream to clear away debris. This set is a great offer, combining two tools that everyone needs. The only drawback is that the two tools have to share one battery.
- Pros: Includes sweeper, 2.0Ah lithium ion battery, 19% discount
- Cons: Battery has to be shared
1. GreenWorks 13 Inch 4Amp Corded Trimmer
Our number #1 string trimmer in this 2017 Top-10 string trimmer review, is this corded 5.2 lbs.(2.3kg) light GreenWorks trimmer. It has a 13 inch cutting swath, with a double automatic feed line of 0.065 inches diameter. Although the power cord is not included, this trimmer is very attractively priced, and is even currently offered at a 40% discount. This is the 4amp model, but it is also available in a 5.5 amp model, with 15 inch cutting swath, and also in a 10amp with 18 inches of cutting swath model.
- Pros: Great price, lightweight, high torque trimmer, 40% discount
- Cons: Limited mobility because it is corded
Our number #1 recommendation is the GreenWorks in position #1, because of its price, cutting power, lightweight and ease of use. The mobility issue can be overcome with long extension power cords, thereby offering more mobility for the user. You could still love the sound and feel of a combustion engine, in which case you can either choose the Husqvarna in position #10 or the Hitachi in position #9. You could also like the practical trimmer and sweeper set from BLACK+DECKER in position #2, but if you are after the best deal, then it’s still the GreenWorks in position #1.