Investing in a reliable set of ratchet wrenches is not just about filling those empty slots on your tool belt. It means that you always have tools at your disposal for simple repair tasks at home. Depending on its size and shape, most wrenches serve different purposes. But, in general, these devices help in loosening and tightening nuts, bolts as well as other fasteners. The problem that many face is that they are don’t know the best ratcheting wrench sets in the market. This article explains how you should go about purchasing a ratchet wrench set. We have also recommended the top-rated wrench sets in 2018.
Best Ratcheting Wrenches in 2018
Table of Contents
- Best Ratcheting Wrenches in 2018
- 10. TEKTON 2110 Ratcheting Combination Wrench Set
- 9. DeWalt DWMT72168 Ratcheting Wrench Set
- 8. Sunex 9923 SAE Ratcheting Wrench Set
- 7. GRIP 89358 MM/SAE Combination Wrench Set
- 6. Crescent CX6PT20 X6 Pass-Through Ratchet Set
- 5. Apollo Tools DT1212 SAE Ratcheting Wrench Set
- 4. Stanley 7-Piece Ratcheting Wrench Set
- 3. ToolGuards Ratcheting Wrench Set
- 2. Gearwrench 35720 Ratcheting Wrench Set
- 1. Craftsman 20 Piece Ratcheting Wrench Set
- Ratchet Wrench Set Buying Guide
Below are our recommendations for the best ratcheting wrenches that money can buy.
10. TEKTON 2110 Ratcheting Combination Wrench Set
- Has a drop forged heat treated steel construction
- The chrome-plated finish is corrosion-resistant
- 72 teeth chrome vanadium ratcheting box end
- Set consists of 10 ratcheting combination
- Supersedes ANSI specifications
This ratcheting wrench offers excellent features for its price. You will find 10 durable, chrome-plated wrenches at your disposal. These wrenches vary in size; ranging from eight to nineteen millimeters. As is the case with the GearWrench set, these tools have 72 teeth, featuring open ends angled at a 15-degree position. This characteristic comes in handy when working on fasteners that are difficult to reach.
The only drawback to purchasing the Tekton Wrench Set is that it does not come with 14mm and 16mm wrenches. This can be a limiting factor if you need to work with these specific wrenches.
9. DeWalt DWMT72168 Ratcheting Wrench Set
- It’s imported
- Has an anti-slip design that offers up to 400% higher gripping power
This 10-piece reversible ratchet wrench set is another handy tool you can invest in. The wrenches have deep laser-etched markings that make it easy to identify wrench sizes. Moreover, its ratcheting gear mechanism helps you to maximize your productivity by providing a low arc swing. You will also get knurled panel rings that offer a non-slip gripping surface. The metric sizes for the wrenches range from 10mm to 19mm.
On the flipside, this ratcheting wrench set is pricier than most other models in our review.
- A 15-degree offset for knuckle clearance
- Long panel forging to provide reach and leverage
- Small wrench size range
8. Sunex 9923 SAE Ratcheting Wrench Set
- Universal spline
- Has direction arrows
- 72 fine teeth
- CR-MO alloy steel construction
Sunex has the interests of automotive experts and DIY enthusiasts at heart. It achieves this by arming them with one of their handiest tools ever invented- the Sunex 9923 Ratcheting Wrench. This is a 4-piece tool set consisting of 5/16”*3/8”, 7/16”*1/2”, 9/16”*5/8” and 11/16”*3/4” wrenches. All tools are made of CR-MO steel, which is a long-lasting material. Also, the wrenches have universal spline that’s capable of accommodating different types of fasteners.
- Offers arrow direction to enhance correct ratcheting
- The chrome plating starts to chip off after some time.
7. GRIP 89358 MM/SAE Combination Wrench Set
- Heat treated alloy steel
- Raised panel
- Open and boxed ends
As its name suggests, one of the perks of purchasing this wrench is that it offers you that firm grip you need to work through your repair project. Grip Combination Wrench Set is useful in a ton of tasks. As long as the job involves nuts and bolts, then this ratchet wrench is indispensable.
With a total of 24 sizes, 12 metric and 12 SAE, these wrenches are designed to serve as both open and box ends. Unfortunately, this wrench set may not last long.
- Simple design
- Ideal for novice and professional mechanics
- The tool case is not as durable as advertised
6. Crescent CX6PT20 X6 Pass-Through Ratchet Set
- X6 design of the socket
- Laser-etched sizing
- Pass-thru system
- Compatible with Hex, Square, 12pt., External Torx and partially rounded hex and Spline fasteners
The Crescent CX6PT20 is a unique ratcheting wrench set. It is also user-friendly and performs just as promised. What makes this toolset easy to operate is its creative X6 design. This feature allows users to grip the different-sized fasteners very easily. It also makes you work faster and smarter. This wrench is compatible with a variety of fasteners such as the partially rounded hex and spline and the External Torx.
The only drawback is that it’s prone to rusting. As such, you will need to store it properly to minimize the likelihood of rust.
- Compatible with different fastener sizes
- Features a laser-etched sizing which makes recognizing the correct size tool easy
- Vulnerable to rust
5. Apollo Tools DT1212 SAE Ratcheting Wrench Set
- Tools are heat treated and plated with chrome
- All equipment exceed ANSI standards
- Lifetime warranty
Apollo Tools is a classic and diverse ratchet wrench set. Aside from being exposed to heat treatment, these tools are coated with chrome- one of the most durable materials. The manufacturer claims that this toolset meets the required ANSI standards. It is a 5-piece set consisting of ¼ inch * 5/16 inch, ½ inch * 9/16 inch, 3/8 inch * 7/16 inch, 11/16 inch * 7/8 inch and finally the 9/16 inch * 5/8 inch wrenches.
Based on customer reviews, the only complaint regarding this ratchet wrench is that the spacing between the teeth is a little too big.
- Easy operation
- Not well-constructed
4. Stanley 7-Piece Ratcheting Wrench Set
- Can be used with impact sockets
- Frameless motor
- Replaceable brushes
- 15-degree box end
- Max-Drive design of box end
- Polish plating
Stanley Hand Tools is a subsidiary of the highly-praised Stanley Black and Decker. The latter is a world-renown provider of industrial gadgets and household hardware. It is therefore not surprising that their 7-piece ratcheting wrench set has made it on this list. Also, the ratcheting wrenches are made of chrome vanadium steel, providing utmost durability.
Sadly, the Stanley 7-piece has limited lifetime warranty, which is a bummer considering that most wrenches have lifetime warranty.
- Comes with replaceable brushes
- Extremely durable
- Has limited lifetime warranty
3. ToolGuards Ratcheting Wrench Set
- 22-piece ratcheting wrench set
- Has a slim profile
- Chrome vanadium steel construction
- 11 metric and 11 SAE wrenches
The ToolGuards is one of the most popular ratcheting wrench sets among DIY experts. It has a total of eleven SAE wrenches and 11 metric wrenches. With such a toolset, you can fasten all kinds of bolts and nuts with so much ease.
All 22 tools feature chrome vanadium construction, making them not only efficient but also durable. Moreover, ToolGuards offers unlimited warranty on these gadgets. The wrench set comes with a tool case, which offers convenience in terms of how you store the wrenches.
- Offers lifetime warranty
- Convenient tool case
- Does not come with the size 11 wrench
2. Gearwrench 35720 Ratcheting Wrench Set
- Exceeds ANSI, Din and federal torque standards
- Drake off road tools
- Ratcheting box end
- Surface drive box end
Gearwrench is one of the most recognizable brands when it comes to repairing equipment and accessories. In the two decades that the company has been in existence, it has invented high-quality and reliable wrench sets that are purchased the world over. This Ratcheting Wrench Set is definitely one of their best productions. If you have never used a wrench set before, you will be pleased with the basic mechanism of this tool.
Weighing slightly over five pounds, the Gearwrench is light enough to carry it around. It’s also cheap, which means if you have an emergency at home and need a quick tool, the Gearwrench is your go-to gadget.
The only drawback is that it’s not suitable for intricate tasks. In fact, if you want a ratchet wrench for professional use, the Gearwrench just won’t cut it.
- Simple and straightforward design
- Not reversible; hence, not recommended for sophisticated tasks
1. Craftsman 20 Piece Ratcheting Wrench Set
- Has a ratcheting box end
- 10 metric sizes wrenches
- 12-degree offset box end
- Endorsed by Craftsman Forever Guarantee
Craftsman, is without a doubt, the most popular brand when it comes to house tools. They offer a wide variety of products but their 20-piece ratcheting wrench set is one that stands out. Thanks to this versatility, you can choose wrenches with either SAE or metric measurements. But what I liked most about this wrench set is that it’s fabricated from alloyed steel.
This wrench set is open-ended, meaning that the device stays in place when the ratchet is in use. Craftsman 20-piece is highly recommended both for residential use and professionals. It features easy enhancements that make its operation a breeze.
On the flipside, finding replacement parts for this tool is challenging. Depending on where you live, you may have a hard time finding the quality of material used in the original construction of this ratchet wrench.
- Easy operation
- Allow users to be more productive
- Its parts are difficult to replace
Ratchet Wrench Set Buying Guide
It stands to reason that a ratchet wrench set is a staple to have in the modern age. Given the plethora of ratcheting wrench sets on the market, we found it fit to point out a few of the key aspects that you should keep in mind when shopping for one. They are:
- Material: While most ratchet wrenches come with the perk of the lifetime warranty, this is not a guarantee that the material used in making them is top-notch. Generally, wrenches made of cast or wrought iron are durable. But, if you want a wrench that will never corrode then chrome vanadium is the material you should be considering.
- Shape and Size: Regardless of whether you’re a DIY enthusiast or a professional handyman, selecting the right shape and size for your ratchet wrench is crucial. Ideally, if you are looking for versatility, you should purchase an adjustable ratchet wrench. Nonetheless, note that such a wrench will not be as durable as the fixed type.
- Easy Snap-On Components: Here’s another credible indicator of the wrench set’s quality: how smoothly the various components attached to each other. Primarily, the heads should fit well onto the ratchet arm. Once you have set it up, there should not be any wiggling or looseness.
- Type of Measurement: Primarily, wrench heads are measured using metric or standard sizes. Metric wrenches use millimeters while standard (SAE) use inches. The idea is to purchase from a vendor, who offers wrenches covering both measurements. Some sets even come with a combination of the two.
If you need a tool that can ease removing and fastening bolts, then consider a ratcheting wrench set. The lightweight design and action mechanism of these tools is incredible. For the best outcome, you should invest in quality ratchet wrench sets such as the ones we have reviewed.