As a smart human being, you would not risk hanging precariously on a ladder to prune that overgrown brand in your backyard. So, you have decided to buy a pole saw. You might have thought that anything tied to a stick and used for pruning can do it for you. Well, you began right where most other people were before they got educated on what constitutes a good pole saw.
Pole saws are designed to make it effortless to trim shrubs and limbs you cannot safely reach from the ground. The most important reasons for using a pole saw are safety, convenience, and affordability. Even the highest quality pole saw is comparable in price to weed eaters. If you want your yard care to be as easy as possible, you will have to go for the best pole saw suited for your needs.
So, how do you go shopping for an ideal pole saw? Do not worry. This post provides you with top 10 best pole saws reviews in 2017 along with an informative buying guide as your starting point.
- 10. Gilmour 20-18 16-Inch Curved Blade Commercial Grade Pole Saw
- 9. Sun Joe SWJ800E 8-Inch 6.5-Amp Telescoping Electric Pole Chain Saw
- 8. Fiskars 7.9-12 Foot Extendable Tree Pruning Stik
- 7. Remington RM1025SPS Ranger Electric Chainsaw/Pole Saw Combo
- 6. WORX WG309 Electric Pole Saw, 10-Inch
- 5. Fiskars 7-16 Foot Chain-drive Extendable Pole Saw and Tree Pruner
- 4. Silky Professional 179-39 Telescoping Landscaping Pole Saw
- 3. GreenWorks 20672 G-MAX 40V 8-Inch Cordless Pole Saw
- 2. WORX WG320 Max Lithium Cordless JawSaw Chain Saw
- 1. BLACK+DECKER LPP120 20V Lithium-Ion Pole Saw, 8-inch
How Do You Choose The Best Pole Saw?
I believe you have learned something common about the best pole saws we have reviewed below. Just to be sure, we now provide you with a useful buying guide to direct you to make your own selection. Here are the most important factors to consider before buying a pole saw:
· Frequency of use and cost
Pole saws designed for frequent use are high quality and a likely costlier than those designed for occasional use. Determine how often you will need to use the saw then budget accordingly. It would financially irresponsible to buy a high-quality expensive pole saw only to use it occasionally.
· Branch size
You need to have in mind the diameter of the branches you will be cutting. Mostly, pole saws will cut branches whose diameters are 1″-2″ less that its bar. Gas or electric poles are able to cut larger branches than manual saws. Use these factors to make the right decision.
Consider the height trees or shrubs you need to prune or trim. This will guide you on the length of the shaft that will do the job. Most telescoping poles saws offer a reach of about 14 feet. Manual trimmers offer the highest reaches and therefore it would be beneficial for you to choose them if you have very tall trees to trim.
· Type of the pole saw
There are four types to choose from including Electric (corded and cordless), manual and gas powered pole saws. Each of these has pros and cons. The manual saws are cheap, light weight, move freely and have longer reach. On the flipside, they are user powered and slower in cutting. The electric (corded) are cheaper with some models featuring detachable chainsaws. Their only limitation is the cable. The gas powered pole saws are powerful and move freely but they are heavy, louder and more expensive.
10. Gilmour 20-18 16-Inch Curved Blade Commercial Grade Pole Saw
- Product Dimensions: 80.5 x 5.5 x 3 inches
- Item Weight: 9.2 pounds
Gilmour 20-18 commercial grade pole saw combines compact design with technology to give you a dependable performance at an affordable price. It features durable cast aluminum saw the head and 16″ curved saw blade with nonstick coating and a strong fiberglass pole. It comes with three 6ft by 1-1/4-Inch diameter octagonal poles for your convenience. Gilmour 20-18 package also includes a hook for pulling down the cut branches and paintbrush holder
· The cast aluminum construction is durable
· The replacement parts adds to durability
· It is lightweight making it easy to use
· Includes accessories useful accessories including hook and paintbrush holder
· Blade comes dull requiring sharpening
· Pole connectors are a little flimsy
9. Sun Joe SWJ800E 8-Inch 6.5-Amp Telescoping Electric Pole Chain Saw
- Product Dimensions: 68.5 x 5.9 x 3.3 inches
- Item Weight: 7 pounds
If you are looking for a good electric pole saw then you can trust will deliver Sun Joe SWJ800E. It comes in handy when you want to cut overhanging thin logs and branches. Its telescoping pole extends to 8.7 feet to provide up to 15 feet of overhead reach. The pole saw is armed with a powerful 6.5amp motor capable of cutting branches up to 7.5-inches thick. The 8-inch Oregon cutting bar and chain are designed to lubricate automatically to ensure smooth operation at all times.
· Allows you to tackle hard-reach branches with ease
· Its long 15-feet pole makes it convenient to use
· Powerful motor cuts tree limbs up to 7.5-inches thick
· Electrically powered therefore no smoke, unpredictable starters, fumes or expensive tune-ups
· Carries full two-year warranty
· Its design makes the chain tensors hard up against the blade making it difficult to access
· Its durability is in question as many users have reported damage after a couple of months
· Weight is concentrated in the head leading to imbalance
8. Fiskars 7.9-12 Foot Extendable Tree Pruning Stik
- Product Dimensions: 4.8 x 3.5 x 95 inches
- Item Weight: 4.3 pounds
This versatile pole saw makes it effortless to reach both high and low branches without the need for a ladder or having to bend. Fiskars 9240’s rope-free design gives you two-handed control thereby elimination snags and tangles. It features Power-Stroke chain-drive gearing which provides optimal cutting power. At the end of the shaft is an actuating ball that allows you to reach even further and still manage to prune with accuracy.
It’s cutting head rotates up to 230 degrees to enable you to prune at awkward angles. The pruning blade is made of fully hardened steel with 1-inch capacity features a nonstick coating to make cutting easier and prevent rust.
· Two-handed control for easy handling
· Optimal cutting power with precision
· Nonstick coating ensures rust resistance
· Lets you prune with ease on both high and low branches even at tight angles
· Weak construction may lead to easy breakage
· It may e too big for female pruners
7. Remington RM1025SPS Ranger Electric Chainsaw/Pole Saw Combo
- Product Dimensions: 39.8 x 8.4 x 9.2 inches
- Item Weight: 12.9 pounds
The Remington RM1025SPS Ranger is a best seller because of is high-quality construction and user-friendly design. It combines the power of a chainsaw with a pole saw to provide you with a versatile tool that allows you to trim even the hardest to reach small limbs. It is equipped with a powerful 8-amp motor capable of driving the power saw with a low kickback chain and 10-inch bar. It’s effortless flip and lock clamps rapidly secure pole length together with nonslip grip results in comfortable use.
· Perfect for trimming hard-to-reach small limbs
· It can cut high branches up to 15 feet overhead
· Chainsaw detaches easily from pole with no tools needed
· Non-slip grip enables comfortable use
· Anti-rotation pole design for stable use
· Some units have faulty safety trigger
· Capable of cutting only small branches of 2-inches or less
· No warranty for this pole saw
6. WORX WG309 Electric Pole Saw, 10-Inch
- Product Dimensions: 42 x 8 x 9 inches
- Item Weight: 10 pounds
The WORC WG309 is a 2-in-1 chainsaw/pole saw that is extremely versatile. You can cut fallen branches using the chainsaw and then attack the pole to cut higher limbs without a risk ladder. The pole attached and detaches without the need of any tools and takes just a couple of minutes. It features a patented auto-tensioning chain system to help lengthen the life of the bar and the chain. Another great feature is the automatic oil pump with a level indicator helps in proper operation and management of the pole saw/chain saw. It is fitted with a powerful 8-Amp motor capable of cutting fast and precisely.
· Perfect tool for light to medium duty pruning, lambing, trimming and clean up around yard
· Has rotatable handle to help with efficient pruning
· Its 2-in-1 design makes it multifunctional
· Operates without tools and requires minimal maintenance
· The automatic oil pump has the tendency to leak after several months of use
· The chain is quite thin and therefore it comes off or break altogether
· The chain loses it sharpness pretty quickly
5. Fiskars 7-16 Foot Chain-drive Extendable Pole Saw and Tree Pruner
- Product Dimensions: 2.2 x 7.8 x 82 inches
- Item Weight: 5.8 pounds
This extendable tree pruner is a great choice of you are looking for the best pole saw for you backyard care. The Fiskars Chain-drive Extendable pole saw feature a chain-drive gearing mechanism giving you up to 3-times more power pruning and allowing you to cut large and small branches alike. Its unique oval shaped-pole reduces flex largely during tension thereby allowing you to control the direction of the cut better. A hooked saw end is designed to anchor on to branches to help you maintain the groove. Lastly, an advanced double locking system combing flip-lock and an internal spring button lock for stability.
· Cuts both large and small branches
· Designed to allow for precise control of the direction of the cut
· Superior lock system allows for optimal stability
· Low friction coating enables smooth cuts, enhanced rust resistance and reduced gumming
· The pole bends a little when fully extended
· The cutters have a tendency not to retract fully after cutting a limb interfering with the next cutting.
4. Silky Professional 179-39 Telescoping Landscaping Pole Saw
- Product Dimensions: 249.2 x 2 x 9.1 inches
- Item Weight: 7.4 pounds
If you have very high trees, then you might benefit from the Silky Professional 179-39 Telescoping pole saw. The pole’s telescoping design allows it to extend for up to 21 feet for optimal to help you prune very high up without the need for dangerous ladder. Its 15.4-inch blade has a cutting capacity of up to 7.7 inches and has a sickle at the base and sharpened hook tip. The oval shaped aluminum alloy extension poles provide accurate control for the direction of the cutting. The pole saws end-pole has rubberized handle for comfortable grip.
· It’s great length allows you to prune and trim high trees
· Black rigid plastic blade cover ensures it stays sharp and clean
· Aluminum alloy pole is rigid and resistant to bending
· It provides clean cut without damaging the tree
· Quick connect head needs no tools
· It gets heavier with greater lengths
· Shipping problems as many people report receiving only the pole with no saw
3. GreenWorks 20672 G-MAX 40V 8-Inch Cordless Pole Saw
- Product Dimensions: 107 x 7 x 7.5 inches
- Item Weight: 8.4 pounds
In case you want to enjoy the convenience of a cordless pole saw then you can check the GreenWorks 20672 G-MAX out. This pole saw is suitable for pruning branches and cutting tree limbs. The pole is capable of delivering up to 160 watts of power with a whopping 14-inch cutting capacity. It extends to 8-feet of pole length for optimal reach without the need of a ladder. GreenWorks is ergonomically designed to provide balance, simplicity, and safety of operation. It also features an 8-inch bar and chain for optimal performance.
· Cordless for convenience
· Well-balances, simple and easy to operate
· Easy maintenance thanks to automatic oiling system and auto chain tensioning system
· Allows for maximum reach without the use of a ladder
· Comes with 4-year warranty
· There are some issues with durability of the GreenWorks
· Oil may leak and flow towards the battery with potential risks
2. WORX WG320 Max Lithium Cordless JawSaw Chain Saw
- Product Dimensions: 20.6 x 14.6 x 8.1 inches
- Item Weight: 11.7 pounds
This versatile tool is part pruner and part chainsaw. The WORX WG320 features a unique design that allows you to cut limbs and branches from the ground without damaging the chain or kickback. The JawSaw features unique teeth that hold wood steadily while you cut thereby providing stability. It is powered by 20-volt MAX lithium battery, capable of delivering enough power for efficient cutting. Other great features include an intuitive chain replacement, tensioning system, and auto-tension system.
· Easy to use design with automatic oiler for easy maintenance
· It’s light weight with maximum of 8 pounds
· Guard covers the chain for optimal safety
· Scissor cut action eliminates kickback and damage to the chain
· It is cordless which enhances convenience
· It is a little bit costlier than others in its category
· Although powerful, the battery cannot provide the same power as that of corded version
· Oil may leak when the pole saw is not in use
1. BLACK+DECKER LPP120 20V Lithium-Ion Pole Saw, 8-inch
- Product Dimensions: 8.2 x 8.1 x 44.5 inches
- Item Weight: 10.4 pounds
BLACK+DECKER LPP120 is a wonderful cordless pole saw that lets you take on even the most challenging overhead trimming jobs. It gives you the power, overhead maneuverability and control you need to get the job done well. The pole saw is designed to extend effortlessly to give you useable length of up to 6.5-ft or 10-ft and bring cutting jobs to 14-ft off the ground well into your each. Its powerful 20-volt MAX Lithium-Ion battery, as well as 8″ cutting bar, allows you to easily cut through branches up to 6″ in diameter. The LPP120 disassembles readily to a compact size after job.
· Comes with blade guard for safe handling
· Powerful battery capable of 100 cuttings per charge cycle
· It is cordless therefore no extension cord limitations
· Easy maneuverability and visibility in-between branches due to in-line powerhead design
· Very light weighing just 6.3 pounds
· The LPP120 is backed by two-year limited warranty
· The battery and the charger might not last long with heavy use
· BLACK+DECKER customer support is not that quick in resolving customer needs
· The chain needs frequent manual tensioning without which comes out as time progresses
After reading our top 10 best pole saws reviews in 2017, I know you now have an idea of what to go for. These tools are vital but they can only serve you well if you choose the one ideal for your needs. Always insist on quality but you must also buy according to your budget. If you commit time to compare prices, you will definitely reach the best decision based on what you have learned from this in-depth review and buying guide.