Digital single lens reflex (DSLR) cameras still rules when it comes to high-level photography. DSLR or digital SLRs are highly versatile and that is why they are great for beginners, intermediates and even advanced photographers. This type of cameras offers a number of key ingredients including manual controls, interchangeable lenses and excellent picture quality.
Despite their efficacy, not all DSLRs are of the same when it comes to performance, picture quality, ease of use, durability and, affordability. Furthermore, there are tens or even hundreds of DSLRS brands and models in the market making choice of the best DSLR for video a very difficult affair. In this post, we will provide you with reviews of the top 10 best digital-DSLRs for videos. Before that; however, let us considers some factors to take into account in order to get an ideal camera for you.
List of 10 Best DSLR Camera for Videos in 2018
Table of Contents
- List of 10 Best DSLR Camera for Videos in 2018
- 10. Canon EOS 80D Digital SLR Kit
- 9. Canon EOS 7D Mark II Digital SLR Camera
- 8. Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II Camera Body Only
- 7. Sony a7S II ILCE7SM2/B 12.2 MP E-mount Camera
- 6. Pentax K-1 Full Frame DSLR Camera
- 5. PANASONIC LUMIX GH5 Body 4K Mirrorless Camera
- 4. Nikon D5 20.8 MP FX-Format Digital SLR Camera Body
- 3. Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Full Frame Digital SLR Camera
- 2. Sony a99II 42.4MP Digital SLR Camera
- 1. Canon EOS-1DX Mark II DSLR Camera
- Consider before buying a DSLR camera for videos
|Canon EOS 80D Digital SLR Kit with EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 Image Stabilization USM Lens (Black)||Buy on Amazon|
|Canon EOS 7D Mark II Digital SLR Camera (Body Only)||Buy on Amazon|
|Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II 4K Mirrorless Camera Body, 20.4 Megapixels, 5-Axis IS, 60fps, 3-Inch Touch LCD, Black||Buy on Amazon|
|Sony a7S II ILCE7SM2/B 12.2 MP E-mount Camera with Full-Frame Sensor, Black||Buy on Amazon|
|Pentax K-1 Full Frame DSLR Camera (Body Only)||Buy on Amazon|
|PANASONIC LUMIX GH5 Body 4K Mirrorless Camera, 20.3 Megapixels, Dual I.S. 2.0, 4K 422 10-bit, Full Size HDMI Out, 3 inch Touch LCD, DC-GH5KBODY (USA Black)||Buy on Amazon|
|Nikon D5 20.8 MP Point & Shoot Digital Camera, Dual CF Slots - Black||Buy on Amazon|
|Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Full Frame Digital SLR Camera with EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM Lens Kit||Buy on Amazon|
|Sony a99II 42.4MP Digital SLR Camera with 3" LCD, Black (ILCA99M2)||Buy on Amazon|
|Canon EOS-1DX Mark II DSLR Camera (Body Only)||Buy on Amazon|
10. Canon EOS 80D Digital SLR Kit
Canon is popular for making high-quality cameras. Their EOS 80D DSLR is one of the best. It uses the ubiquitous Canon EF lens mount, with several lens options. The camera features Dual Pixel CMOS Auto-Focus that allows you to use the touchscreen to mark a subject after which the 80D will automatically track it as long as it moves. It features an intelligent viewfinder with up to 100 percent viewfinder coverage. Its 24.2 Megapixel (APS-C) CMOS sensor provides impressive, high-resolution results.
While the Canon EOS 80D is a great DSLR, one of its many dials seems to have a problem. Many users have reported the case meaning it may be a design flow specifically for this model. However, the manufacturer is trying hard to find a solution.
• Excellent picture quality
• High build quality making it comfortable and easy to use
• Long battery life
• Standard SD slot for additional storage
• Wi-Fi for advanced connectivity
• Unresponsive dial
• Quite lacking in low light performance
9. Canon EOS 7D Mark II Digital SLR Camera
The Canon EOS 7D Mark II is best for you if you want a DSLR camera that can provide you with a broad spectrum of artistic opportunities. It combines a robust, ergonomic design and cutting edge operations to deliver and make even the most challenging photography easy and simple. The camera features refined APS-C sized 20.2MP CMOS sensor with Dual-DIGIC 6 Image Processors for elegant imagery. It is capable of shooting 10 frames each second for capturing fast actions.
The design and construction materials appear to be made of plastic, which reduces durability. This may just be a perception but the camera is not as great in quality as its competitor models from the same brand including the previously reviewed Canon EOS 80D.
• Great IOS performance and great image quality
• Intuitive and user-friendly interface
• Sophisticated autofocus system
• Fast shooting speeds of up to 10fps
• Poor battery life
• Wi-Fi is omitted
• Quite pricey Canon model
8. Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II Camera Body Only
The OM-D E-M1 is a high-quality DSLR camera capable of capturing full resolution raw images at an impressive in 18 fps in C-AF and 60 fps S-AF and tracking using the silent electronic shutter and 10 fps in C-AF and 15 fps in S-AF Tracking with the mechanical shutter. It features a precise and quick Dual Fast Autofocus, which is an innovative subject tracking focusing algorithm that effectively follows and captures sudden movements, acceleration and stopping. You will also love 5-Axis Image Stabilization that allows you to capture great images without the need for a tripod.
The camera is complicated to use. In fact, it comes with a 194-page instruction manual, which is so discouraging to read. This means those with limited experience using Olympus cameras will have problems using the E-M1.
• Impressive high-speed performance
• Ultra-smooth handheld 4K video (without tripod)
• It is lightweight and weatherproof
• Advanced shooting modes
• High (120 fps) refresh rate with 5 millisecond response time
• Cumbersome to use
• Very expensive model
7. Sony a7S II ILCE7SM2/B 12.2 MP E-mount Camera
Another very high-quality DSLR camera for video is the Sony a7S II ILCE7SM2/B. This camera features full frame capabilities with 5-axis image stabilization allowing you to capture high-quality videos without the need for a tripod. It features quick and effective enhanced Fast Hybrid AF. Its 12.2 MP full-frame sensor is great for low light and wide dynamic range. The camera supports new picture profiles including S-Gamut3. It has many other great features you will only enjoy if you get the chance to try the Sony a7S.
This is one of the most expensive digital SLR cameras currently in the market perhaps because of quality and performance. At such prices, you would expect this camera to be exceptional in resisting environmental elements but many users have complained about internal corrosion due to humidity.
• World’s first5 full frame 4K movie recording1
• 5-axis SteadyShot Inside image stabilization system
• Supports the newest picture profiles
• User-friendly controls
• Enhanced accuracy with low light/low noise capability
• Sony a7S is very expensive
• Very poor battery life
6. Pentax K-1 Full Frame DSLR Camera
Pentax may not be as popular as Canon or Sony brands but the company makes some of the best DSLR cameras currently in the market. The Pentax K-1 features 36.4 Megapixel AA Filterless CMOS Sensor with a whopping 33 AF Point. The camera is engineered to use all of the performance requirements of high-resolution full-frame 35-millimeter digital photography. It features an improved noise processing algorithm for incredible performance in low light or shadows shooting where very high ISOs necessary for optimal performance. Check it out for other great features.
There is hardly any reason to criticize the Pentax K-1 Full Frame DSLR Camera. The only issue with the camera is its tethering software, which at times is very problematic to use.
• The camera is well built and durable
• Robust Raw file generation
• Very intuitive and user-friendly
• Captures high-quality images and videos
• Quite affordable
• Android tethering problems
5. PANASONIC LUMIX GH5 Body 4K Mirrorless Camera
This new release mirrorless camera is an ideal choice for photography and 4K video performance. The core of the camera is housed within a durable magnesium alloy body. It is fitted with 20.3-Mega Pixel Micro 4 Thirds sensor with no low pass filter for stunningly beautiful images. The camera offers more than 28 Lumix and Leica compact lens options built on the technologically advanced interchangeable lens camera standards. It is fitted with 5 GHz WI-Fi and Bluetooth for fast connection and image transfer.
Panasonic Lumix is a new release camera and therefore not much information is available to know any negatives worthy of mentioning. The issue most customers complain about is the poor battery life, which is a common problem for most digital SLR cameras for video.
• Great videos quality
• Durable construction with modern design
• Wi-Fi for superfast connection and image transfer
• Supports classic non-O.I.S lenses
• Variable video frame rates
• Low battery life
• New release yet to be robustly tested
4. Nikon D5 20.8 MP FX-Format Digital SLR Camera Body
The Nikon D5 features huge advancements in autofocus, sensor design, image processing and metering. The result is an easy and simple to use the camera with a great performance in all conditions. The camera has game-changing low light shooting capabilities to as much as ISO 102,400 (which is expandable) and accurate AF detection as well as tracking across that entire range of ISO regardless of changes in the direction and speed of your subject. It is fitted with one of the most powerful processors. The camera has limitless potential.
The camera performs greatly but the image quality is a little bit lower than its competitors of the same class and price range are. The listed price of this camera in the most online retail outlet is too high compared to its performance.
• Advanced shooting capabilities
• Great low light performance
• Fitted with very powerful processor
• Has a second processor dedicated to computing and autofocus operation
• Records 4K Ultra High Definition video
• Average image quality
• Very costly compared to other brands and models in its class
3. Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Full Frame Digital SLR Camera
The Canon EOS is one of the most talked about DSLRs for video. It features several functional upgrades from its predecessors including a higher resolution sensor, with double autofocus, an upgraded AF system, 4K video capture, touchscreen, improved weather sealing, interval timer, GPS and built-in Wi-Fi/NFC. These features and more make the EOS 5D Mark IV an all-around full frame camera to help you capture the greatest personal and professional moments.
The camera features a fixed screen, which Canon argues improves the camera’s weather sealing. This may be true but the fixed screen causes a certain amount of inconvenience because a user has to lie on the floor to compose low-level shots.
• A very easy to use camera with intuitive controls
• Touchscreen LCD is a cool feature
• Weather resistance for use in all environmental conditions
• Fast and complete connectivity
• The most advanced 5D series currently in the market
• Fixed screen makes composing low-level shots difficult
• A model especially for beginners
2. Sony a99II 42.4MP Digital SLR Camera
This is the first Sony DSLR camera that features a 4D focus system added to a full-frame camera. The Sony a99II feature a Hybrid Phase Detect System that uses 79 dedicated points with 399 focal plane- phase detection points. These points help with super fast focusing and tracking of moving objects. The camera has the ability to detect light flicker and time its shutter so that it minimizes flicker’s effect on your photos. The a99II is good for High-Resolution stills shooting in a number of situations.
This camera may not be so good for shooting video with autofocus. This is because it uses third party lenses, which need more precise focus tracking. However, it is generally a great camera for an amateur, intermediate and even pro photographers and videographers.
• Great for high-resolution shooting
• Redefined speed and autofocus
• A whopping 42.4-mega-pixel Exmor R CMOS sensor
• Improved design and operability
• Rechargeable battery
• Low battery life not good enough for long shooting periods
• Needs improvement in shooting video with autofocus
1. Canon EOS-1DX Mark II DSLR Camera
A great DSLR camera that will give you good value for your money is the Canon EOS-1DX. This one of the fastest EOS-1D digital SLR cameras capable of shooting 14 frames per second in FR RAW or JPEG, and up to 16 frames per second in live view mode with new dual Digic 6-plus image processors. The high-speed processing is great for stills as well as 4K/60p movies and other capabilities. Buy this camera and to unlock its numerous great features.
Although the camera has a silent shutter mode, it is still louder than 5D such that people across a room can hear the shutter noise. The camera lacks built-in Wi-Fi which should be an mandatory feature in modern cameras because if improved connectivity.
• The camera’s focus is very accurate
• Very fast EOS-1D cameras currently in the market
• Level in viewfinder and nice displays
• Great design with easy to access dials and buttons
• No built-in Wi-Fi
• The camera’s silent shutter is louder
Consider before buying a DSLR camera for videos
If you were looking for the best DSLR camera for video shooting then I believe you are now well equipped to go about and shop. You can check out these top 10 brands to confirm if they have features that you are looking for. This review is just a summery of the most important attributes. Since these are expensive gadgets, you need to be extremely careful in your shopping so that you do not make any mistakes. I believe this resource has given a good start.