Maintaining your backyard is a huge step in owning a dream home. However, doing it requires that you make huge but wise investments, especially on tools that get the job done. One such tool is the wood chipper. Since you are reading this review, I believe you are looking for the best wood chipper currently in the market. This tool is vital in dealing with bush piles and it is great for processing the branches into nutrient releasing scraps that could block weed and hold in soil moisture.
While all wood chippers are designed to do just this, each brand and model differ in performance, durability as well as price. This might be confusing but we got you covered. We have shortlisted some top 10 best wood chippers currently in the market to give you a starter. First, you will learn of things to consider before buying a wood chipper.
- 10. EcoPro SD-AX6000 Garden Shredder
- 9. GreenWorks 24052 15 Amp Corded
- 8. Champion Power Equipment 100137 3″
- 7. Yard Machines 208cc Chipper Shredder
- 6. Earthwise GS70015 15-Amp Electric Garden
- 5. Patriot Products CSV-3100B 10 HP Briggs & Stratton
- 4. LawnMaster FD1501 Electric Chipper Shredder
- 3. Eco-Shredder ES1600 14-Amp Electric Chipper
- 2. Tazz K32 Chipper Shredder – 212cc 4-Cycle Engine
- 1. Sun Joe CJ601E 14-Amp Electric Wood
Factors to Consider Before Buying a Wood Chipper
It would be a big mistake walk into a store and buy the first wood chipper your eye catches. You have to be armed with enough knowledge to lead you through. In case you are confused, here are some important factors to consider before buying a wood chipper.
• Motor or Engine
Wood chippers come in two types – gas powered and electric. The electric models are portable, quiet and cheaper but have limited shredding and chipping capabilities. The gas powered models are more powerful and can shred even larger branches but they are quite expensive and noisy because they run on gas engines.
• Cutting Diameter
The cutting diameter refers to the size of limb or wood the shredder is capable of chipping. Chippers with larger cutting diameters are better options but they are also expensive. You can still find an electrically powered chipper with up to 1.75-inch cutting diameters.
• Size of the Collection Box /Bag
This should be determined by your needs. If you are looking for a wood shredder for just a small yard then a small collection box will do and vice versa. The larger models have bigger bags eliminates the need to frequently empty the bag which is convenient.
• Feed System
The feed system is an extremely important aspect to look into because it will determine the performance of the shredder. Most models feature automatic feed systems but the size of the feed matters most. You can choose between single-way, two-way or 3-way feed systems.
10. EcoPro SD-AX6000 Garden Shredder
- Product Dimensions: 20.1 x 16.5 x 41.3 inches
- Item Weight: 30.9 pounds
The EcoPro SD-AX6000 Garden Shredder is a wonderful gardening tool to have. It plugs into any 120v electrical outlet to enable you to shred or chip light garden weeds such as leaves and thin limbs. The shredder features an automatic collection receptacle and feed. The 50-liter receptacle opens, empties and cleans easily. It is what you need to prepare material for either composting or reduced size for easy disposal. The EcoPro SD-AX6000 is fitted with a powerful 2500W 14amp motor with a maximum cutting diameter of 1.57″.
While the shredder is great and offers good performance, its paddle to clear the chute of leaves is made of cheap plastic which cracks easily especially with repeated use. You may also have a problem with opening the head because it needs precision.
• Very easy to use, clean and maintain
• Two 7” wheels for easy transportation
• Large capacity collection box
• Produced good quality mulch
• Made of plastic which cracks easily
• Opening the head may be a bit frustrating
9. GreenWorks 24052 15 Amp Corded
- Product Dimensions: 33.7 x 19.9 x 15.8 inches
- Item Weight: 30.6 pounds
Fitted with a powerful 15 Amp motor, the GreenWorks 24052 corded shredder/chipper is a great choice for your garden and landscaping. It is capable of a maximum cutting diameter of 1 3/8-inches, which makes it easy to clear most of your trimming debris and maximize your natural resources for a clean and healthy lawn. A convenient push paddle makes it safe and simple to feed materials into the hopper with large collection bag.
The GreenWorks 24052 corded chipper has a small feeder, which may make it slow for you to do your garden debris shredding. The screw holes to have a small problem making it a daunting task to match them up. This can be frustrating.
• Powerful 15Amp motor for reliable results
• Large cutting diameter for clearing most of your trimming debris
• 7” wheels for easy maneuverability
• Includes additional set of reversible blades
• The chute design is great but slow
• The chip bag is pretty big
8. Champion Power Equipment 100137 3″
- Product Dimensions: 41.3 x 25.2 x 29.7 inches
- Item Weight: 190 pounds
In case you are looking for a heavy-duty shredder/chipper then you should check out the Champion Power Equipment 100137. This tool has a chipper chute with hardened steel blades to shred branches up to 3 inches in diameter. It includes receptacle bad for effortless cleanup or mulch application. It has never-flat tires for easy transportation. The chipper has integrated handle and features a vertical design for easy maneuverability.
The Champion Power Equipment 100137 is fitted with huge 338cc OHV Gas Engine which is powerful but is noisy and may produce fumes that can contribute to greenhouse gas. The access to oil fill ports is quite difficult, especially on uneven ground.
• Large 338cc OHV Gas Engine for great shredding power
• Durable tires, handle and vertical design for easy maneuverability
• Collection bag for easy cleanup and mulch application
• 2-year limited warranty and free lifetime technical support
• Uses gas which is not environmentally friendly
• Changing oil may be cumbersome
7. Yard Machines 208cc Chipper Shredder
- Product Dimensions: 42.6 x 25.2 x 36.1 inches
- Item Weight: 250 pounds
Another great gas powered chipper/shredder that you can buy is the Yard Machines 208cc. The chipper is powered by a 205cc OHV engine, which runs more smoothly and efficiently than the common side-valve engines. The engine is the heavy-duty 4-cycle type that has enough power to shred branches up to 2-inches in diameter. It is fitted with a 3-way feed system, which includes a chipper chute, a rake in chute and a drop-down chute.
Just like all gas-powered tools, this chipper is quite noisy to operate and produces fumes, which may have negative effects on the environment. Otherwise, the Yard Machines 208cc Chipper Shredder is a great choice you can check out.
• High-quality chipper that lasts long with maintenance
• Powerful enough for fast and efficient chipping and mulching
• High waste-reduction ration of 10:1
• Large bag capacity of up to 2.5 bushels
• Gas engine is noisy and polluting
6. Earthwise GS70015 15-Amp Electric Garden
- Product Dimensions: 24 x 18 x 42 inches
- Item Weight: 31 pounds
An electric garden chipper offers you the convenience to shred your trimmed limbs with much ease. A good choice for you would be the Earthwise GS70015. It is fitted with a 15Amp electric motor capable of shredding branches and sticks up to 1.75-in thick. Its 1.2 bushels collection box to make cleaning easy, In the case of overload, you are protected with a reset switch. Yow will also like the durable back wheels that provide you with easy portability.
The chipper is capable of chipping dry branches easily but it will not chip green leaves and branches continuously. It may be quite difficult to operate especially due to the fact that hopper opening is the same size as the reamer so it must be used every time material is added into the machine.
• Very easy to assemble for use
• Comes with wheels for easy maneuverability
• Your safety is afforded by a reset switch
• Easy to clean up thanks to a large collection bin
• Needs some skills to operate
• Does not chip green leaves and branches continuously
5. Patriot Products CSV-3100B 10 HP Briggs & Stratton
- Product Dimensions: 35 x 24 x 37 inches
- Item Weight: 139 pounds
This gas powered wood chipper/leaf shredder is a great addition to your garden and landscaping equipment. It features the strong chipping power of the 10 hp Briggs engine, which in combination with unique design offers an impressive performance. The tool is capable of shredding branches up to 3-inches in diameter. Its side discharge allows you to work in the same location throughout the day without moving the chipper.
At the current cost, Patriot Products CSV-3100B 10 HP Briggs & Stratton Chipper/Leaf Shredder is one of the most expensive wood chippers currently in the market. It’s bagging system and poorly designed exhaust chute cover are critical points.
• Powerful gas chipper/shredder
• Unique design is elegant and functional
• Enough power to shred branches up to 3-inches in diameter
• Allows for same location work throughout the day
• Very costly compared to wood chippers in its class
• Poorly designed bagging system and exhaust chute
4. LawnMaster FD1501 Electric Chipper Shredder
- Product Dimensions: 38.1 x 19.4 x 20.5 inches
- Item Weight: 25.4 pounds
Money is hard to get by nowadays but if you are really in need of wood chipper that can get the job done then you got to find an affordable one. The LawnMaster FD1501 is one of the most affordable wood chippers/shredders currently in the market. It features a powerful 15Amp motor capable of 10:1 mulch ratio. Its 8” wheels offer the best when it comes to mobility and transportation. The shredder offers a maximum cutting diameter of 1.5 inches.
While this cutting diameter is good enough for electricity or battery powered wood chippers, it does not help when you need to cut larger branches. This is not the right shredder for you if you live in a place with many bamboo plants because the shredder is not intended for them.
• Powerful shredder that is environmentally safe
• Highly affordable
• Wide 8-inch wheels for easy maneuverability
• Efficient shredder for good much ratio
• Cannot cut larger branches
• Not intended for bamboo trees
3. Eco-Shredder ES1600 14-Amp Electric Chipper
- Product Dimensions: 22 x 22 x 24 inches
- Item Weight: 70.8 pounds
If you own a small yard with few bushes and trees then you will do well with Eco-Shredder ES1600. This 14Amp electric wood chipper features a 3-way feed, which makes reducing waste easy and quick process. The 3-cycle shredding and mulching system ensure constant, uniform results while 7-inch wheels offer optimal portability. The ES1600 has rounded discharge chute makes clean up and maintenance easier.
The downside of this shredder is the poor manual, which makes it difficult to figure out how to assemble the machine. The bottom of the exit chute seems not to have enough room to the ground meaning you have to scoop away the chopped leaves.
• Very powerful and well designed
• The shredding is efficient and complete
• Offers great value at an affordable price
• Overload protection switch turns off motor during jam for your safety
• Cleaner and quieter operation
• Low-quality manual is not so helpful
• Bottom chute is not sizable enough
2. Tazz K32 Chipper Shredder – 212cc 4-Cycle Engine
- Product Dimensions: 29.9 x 24.4 x 51 inches
- Item Weight: 121 pounds
Fitted with 212cc Viper engine, the Tazz K32 wood chipper is one of the most powerful gas powered chippers currently in the market. The K32 is one of the few wood chippers that feature an optional vacuum kit that feature a unique air gate as well as the largest-in-class rotor. Although powerful, the chipper’s design makes it easy to fit even small rooms. It has large, always-ready 11” wheels that never go flat. You will also like the rugged, effortless to use debris bag with bottom-out zipper.
One of the biggest issues with the Tazz K32 is its propensity to jam. This can be seriously annoying especially when you have a lot of work to do. Otherwise, it performs as great as most high-quality wood chippers currently in the market.
• Large, powerful 212cc Viper engine easy shredding
• Large optional vacuum kit
• Compact design for easy handling
• 11” wheels that never go flat for easy mobility
• Jams much easily which is frustrating
• Durability is questionable especially with repeated use
1. Sun Joe CJ601E 14-Amp Electric Wood
- Product Dimensions: 17 x 20 x 36.8 inches
- Item Weight: 26.2 pounds
Our topmost wood chipper for the money is the Sun Joe CJ601E. This 14-Amp Electric Chipper is great in helping you turn twigs and branches into nutrient-rich garden compost or mulch. It is capable of chipping branches up to 1.5-inches thick. It features a compact design with six-inch tubeless wheels for easy maneuverability. The CJ601E has a safety hopper with locking knob to prevent the motor from operating when you open it.
This chipper works very well with small dry branches but very small branches under 1/8 inches will go through the machine without being altered. This means pine needles and leaves on branches will go straight through the machine. Due to great performance, this electric wood chipper is #bestseller on the world’s leading online retailers.
• Very powerful in turning twigs and branches into manure
• Works quickly and easily
• It is maintenance free due electric powering
• Compact design and wheels for easy portability
• Works quietly and very easy to assemble
• Does not chip or shred very small branches
• Small and narrow hopper makes entry difficult
As you have seen from the above reviews and buyers guide, finding the best wood chipper can be a difficult undertaking. This resource is meant to help you achieve your best when it comes to shopping for a wood chipper/shredder. We understand that people have different preferences and so we will not push these products down your throat. Instead, we have provided you with kind of a smoking gun to help you to start the process by using the buyer’s guide.